Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sunflower yellow, spirits dark

She only humours me when I try for these art-house pictures.

Clare with sunflower

"Making Games with Python and Pygame" (by Al Sweigart) arrived this morning. The first thing you do is go to the website and download Pygame, a piece of cake according to chapter 1: in my heart I knew better.

This explains the following couple of emails sent off to Mr Sweigart & currently awaiting reply. Start at the bottom and work up.
Clare Youell and Nigel Seel (cy.and.ns@gmail.com)
12:49 (49 minutes ago)
Subject: Fwd: Failure to get Pygame imported (a 64 bit OS problem?)
to al@inventwithpython.com
________________________

Dear Al,

From here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4676433/solving-dll-load-failed-1-is-not-a-valid-win32-application-for-pygame 

"It could be due to the architecture of your OS. Is your OS 64 Bit and have you installed 64 bit version of Python? It may help to install both 32 bit version Python 3.1 and Pygame, which is available officially only in 32 bit and you won't face this problem.  
I see that 64 bit pygame is maintained here, you might also want to try uninstalling Pygame only and install the 64 bit version on your existing python3.1, if not choose go for both 32-bit version.
Yes, I installed the 64 bit version of Python 3.3.2 as my machine is running a 64 bit operating system. Do I have to re-install Python in its 32 bit version to use Pygame? 
I am not sure the 64 bit binary mentioned above for Pygame works on Pentium T4300 dual core processors. 
Thanks, 
Nigel.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Clare Youell and Nigel Seel
Date: 10 August 2013 12:31
Subject: Failure to get Pygame imported
To: al@inventwithpython.com

Dear Al,

Sorry to bother you but I can't even get started.

I'm using a Windows laptop with Windows 7. 
 
I downloaded http://pygame.org/ftp/pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi
and ran the installer with C\Python33 as target (I'm using 3.3.2).

Typing import pygame into the Python interpreter produces:

Traceback File "<most recent call last>:
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:\Python33\lib\site-packages\pygame\__init__.py", line 95, in module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application


I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. Help!

Thanks,

Nigel.
__________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: Saturday afternoon  (speaks for itself).
Dear Al,

Please disregard earlier emails. After a lot of messing around I discovered that the problem is incompatibility between the current Pygame and recent Python releases. The only thing which works with Pygame version pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi is Python Release 3.2.5 -- which I have now installed.

I can see that it's a major headache trying to keep Pygame synchronised with the main Python development stream.

Best regards,

Nigel.
__________________________________________________________________

And Al replied: (Saturday evening).
Hi Nigel! I'm glad you got it figured out. Pygame for 3.3 is available, but for some reason they don't have it on the main download page. You can find it here though: https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/downloads.