Friday, September 21, 2012

Training Day 3 in the Mendips

It's something to see: two RAF Tornados speeding over your head at 300 feet. First the growing roar, then, like black mechanoid spacecraft, they thundered over the trees towards me in echelon formation.

I was standing at the top of the Old Bristol Road, trying to find the well-hidden footpath across to the A39 and the Penn Hill TV mast a kilometre or so away. I was wondering why the GPS was failing to give me a grid reference, having forgotten the ambient RF blizzard emanating from the mast.

I've been meaning for a while to ascend the Ebbor Gorge. It gets steep and Clare has backed off previously so we have abandoned. But today I was reassured that it doesn't ever get much more steep than the pix show below.

Learnings from today. Get some soft insoles for the boots! I was out for four hours and boy, do my toes know it! The Brecon Beacons beckon for next week.

The Ebbor Gorge
A steeper part of the gorge
A Mendip valley looking south