Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jane Eyre/alien parasites

Clare, my mother and myself checked out "Jane Eyre" this afternoon. A competent piece of work and the actress playing Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska) is a star. Sadly, Mr Rochester is played with the emotional range of a wooden plank; his emotional relationship with Jane never veers far from indifference and carries no conviction on screen at all.


My latest piece on sciencefiction.com, alien parasite, was, I thought an equally competent piece of work. 'Funny', 'quirky' and 'surreal' would have been the adjectives I would have chosen. Sadly the readership did not agree with me and the piece appears to have sunk without trace.

Coming up I'll be looking at Greg Egan's new 'Orthogonal' trilogy, which explores a universe where the spacetime signature is (+,+,+,+). You'll need to stick around if you need to know more, although Egan has a starter pack here.

As a consequence I'm seriously digging into my General Relativity book (Schutz).