Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Book Review: 'The Lost Gate' by Orson Scott Card

My review of 'The Lost Gate' has been posted here at sciencefiction.com. It's as well-written as all of Orson Scott Card's novels, but I'm a little tired of his concept of hero = teenage (or sub-teenage) boy.

We climbed up the hill to the top of the Mendips last night (around 9 pm) to see the stars. They're certainly brighter up there but the level of light pollution is still extraordinary. With Wells lighting up the southern horizon and Bristol - twenty miles away - illuminating the north it was impossible to see the Milky Way.

I took some photos but the phone-camera basically doesn't function in low-light so it just came out black: I haven't wasted your time with the result. Oh well, back to researching my article on the search for Supersymmetry at the LHC for sciencefiction.com ...